About Fresh Relevance:
We are a rapidly growing company, based on the Southampton Science Park in Chilworth, Southampton. We build digital marketing technology for online retailers. We increase sales with personalized customer experiences and real-time marketing.
A highly experienced team of Marketing Technologists founded Fresh Relevance after working with many of the biggest e-commerce brands for over a decade. The goal was to create a scalable platform that empowers all marketers to run highly personalized, automated, real-time communications, like the mega brands but without huge budget.
We have an informal and flexible work environment and are very responsive to ideas from staff and interns alike. We have offices in Southampton, London and Boston and expect to continue rapid growth both in the UK and overseas.
This role would suit someone who has experience building and scaling SaaS applications and is looking to further their skills and knowledge working with the latest cloud technology. We run a fast-paced continuous deployment environment to support billions of marketing analytics events and decisions a month. Our customers are well known online retail and travel brands from the UK, Europe and the rest of the World. We operate in a highly collaborative environment where fresh ideas are encouraged from everyone and the traditional lines between Development and Technical Operations are blurred.
Role and Responsibilities
- Working alongside the Technical Operations Manager, implement projects to optimise and improve both internal and production systems whilst maintaining high availability.
- Assisting and enabling the development team to be as productive as possible by supporting and developing several internal dev systems such as CI and the deployment system.
- Working alongside the development team on joint features where cross collaboration between traditionally separate departments is critical to continued success, utilising both software development and operational skills. Sharing of best practices and operational experience.
- Participating in the on-call rota which will occasionally require responding to server alerts out of hours.
- Working as 3rd line support to our Client Services team to assist with diagnosing and troubleshooting client issues, using both highly skilled knowledge of our system and software development experience.
- Working with the TechOps Manager & CTO to identify areas for systems improvement and putting forward proposals to do so.
- Willingness and capability to assist with Internal IT provision and support as the business grows.
Required knowledge and skills
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or container-based workflows such as Docker.
- Experience of working in a production cloud hosted environment.
- Demonstrable experience working alongside or within a SaaS software development team and familiarity with processes such as continuous integration, continuous deployment, source control and code reviews. Working in a dev-ops type environment ideal.
- Strong Linux knowledge, including familiarity with package management, logging, system services and monitoring/troubleshooting.
- Strong networking knowledge including Caching, DNS, Firewalls, HTTP, Load Balancing, Routing and Switching.
- A strong desire to learn new tools and techniques and how best to apply those at scale. Desirable knowledge and skills
Desirable knowledge and skills
- Experience and familiarity with the use of infrastructure automation tools such as Chef in a production environment.
- Software development skills in at least one language such as Python and NodeJS.
- Experience instrumenting and monitoring SaaS applications both from the application and server level.
- Demonstrable experience with AWS in a production environment at scale, especially EC2 and VPC. Working knowledge and understanding in other AWS products such as ElastiCache, S3 and CloudFront.
- Many hundred Ubuntu Servers hosted on AWS with auto-scaling.
- Over 1000 Kubernetes pods.
- Infrastructure Automation - Chef
- Web Servers – nginx & uWSGI
- SaaS application written in Node.JS and Python
- CI - Jenkins
- Database Servers - MongoDB and MariaDB
- Caching systems - Redis
- Logging – Elastic Stack
- Metrics+Alerting systems – CollectD, Graphite, Nagios, Prometheus and Grafana
The successful candidate should demonstrate sound knowledge of a number of these systems, on the job training will be provided for other technologies.
- Competitive salary
- Workplace pension
- Professional development budget
- Wellness allowance
- Stock options
- Fun company culture with regular team outings